In 2012, the Food and Drug Administration approved a Sanofi product called Auvi-Q, which is an epinephrine auto-injector used to treat allergic reactions. Sanofi recently revealed that it was determined that the injectors were defective, and 490,000 packs of these unsafe products that were distributed nationwide, including in Tennessee, were recalled. The company said there were two injectors in most of the recalled packs.
The company estimates that approximately 200,000 U.S. consumers have these injectors in their possession. Auvi-Q is an item that people keep for emergencies or first-aid care, and it is often used to administer life-saving medication. Severe allergic reactions to insect stings and bites, foods or medication are typically treated by using this injector.
Upon investigating 26 reports from consumers, the French manufacturing company reportedly found that some of the injectors failed to administer the correct dosage of life-saving drugs. Although none of the reported malfunctions led to deaths, the defect can cause a patient’s death. The company reported that it will replace the defective devices at no charge, but it reminded consumers to get replacement auto-injectors before returning defective devices as it may be needed in emergency situations in which lives may be on the line.
Tennessee residents who have suffered adverse effects that were caused by defective or unsafe products may have viable product liability claims. By successful presentation of such a claim in a Tennessee civil court, financial and other documented losses may be recovered. However, proving liability is never easy, and some victims choose to pursue such claims with the assistance and guidance of an experienced product liability attorney.