Product Liability Lawyers in Memphis
Fighting for Every Dollar You Deserve
Despite a clear legal duty to make sure that their products are safe, or at the very least not unreasonably dangerous, there is no shortage of new stories about manufacturers who place more value on profits than the health and lives of their customers. People are injured just about every day by dangerously defective products. Some product flaws can even be fatal. Product liability law involves holding manufacturers and others in the stream of commerce liable for any injuries and deaths that are caused by dangerous products.
Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi, PLC has been helping people recover compensation for injuries and other losses caused by defective and unreasonably dangerous products since 1970. We handle cases throughout the Memphis Tri-State Area and are ready to put our experience and resources to work for your case.
Defendants in product liability cases have a lot at stake and will do whatever it takes to minimize their losses at your expense. Our law firm has the experience and resources it takes to prevent that, and we do what it takes to protect your interests. If you or a family member has been injured by a dangerous or defective product, call our Memphis product liability attorneys to schedule your free initial consultation.
Injured by a defective product? Call Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi today at (901) 526-2126 for a free consultation.
Who Can Be Held Liable for Dangerous Products?
After a product is manufactured by a business, it’s usually bought by at least one other business, and then the product ultimately ends up in the hands of the consumer. That’s the chain of distribution. Liability for placing dangerously defective products into the hands of a consumer can be attributable to:
- The manufacturer
- An independent manufacturer of a component part
- The product’s assembler
- The installer of a product
- The wholesaler or distributor of the product
- The retailer store that the product to the ultimate consumer
What Makes a Product Defective?
Under product liability law, the plaintiff (injured person) must prove that the product was defective. So, in order to prevail in a lawsuit, a person who believes that his or her injuries were caused by a dangerously defective product must show that there were at least one of three types of defects in the product.
The three main types of product defects are:
- Design defects: These are present in a product from the beginning, before it’s manufactured. This means that there is something about the actual design of the product that is and always has been unsafe. When there’s a design defect, every item in the product line will have the same dangerous defect, even when they’re perfectly manufactured to rigorous specifications. The product is, in and of itself, unsafe.
- Manufacturing defects: These occur when the product is being produced or assembled. A manufacturer or assembler can make 100,000 items of a product line perfectly. As opposed to a design defect, only one of those items might contain an unsafe manufacturing defect like a loose wire that could cause a product to shock a user, catch fire, or even explode. These defects usually arise at the manufacturing plant.
- Marketing defects: These include all the ways the product might be marketed – false advertising, improper labeling, inadequate safety warnings, or bad instructions. Typically, errors or omissions occur in the way that a product is marketed to the public. These ordinarily occur in labeling, instructions for users, or safety warnings, like on the instruction sheet for prescription medications, for example.
How Strict Liability Applies to Product Liability Cases
Nearly all injury cases involve the law of negligence, but product liability law allows claimants to use the law of strict liability. Under the law of strict liability, it’s irrelevant what precautions a manufacturer took when it made a consumer product. As a result, if you've been injured, you must be able to prove that:
- There was a design, manufacturing or marketing defect
- It caused an injury when the product was used in the way that it was intended to be used
- The victim didn’t make any substantial changes in the condition of the product
We hold companies who make their products available to the public accountable. If you were injured by a product while using it for its intended purposes, you might be entitled to financial compensation.
Common Types of Product Liability Cases
As a consumer, virtually anything you can buy or use could be the subject of a product liability lawsuit. It could be a household cleaner. It could be the copy machine you use at work. It could be a tainted food product. It may also be a pharmaceutical drug or medical device that is supposed to help you.
We handle products liability cases involving these and other products, including:
- Unsafe motor vehicles
- Defective medical products and devices
- Dangerous pharmaceutical drugs
- Dangerous children’s toys and products
- Defective power tools or equipment
- Defective safety equipment
- Dangerous chemicals
- 3M Combat Arms Earplugs
- Cancer caused by Roundup
- GM ignition switch defects
Whatever type of product your case involves, preserve the product as soon after the accident as possible. If you can’t, our lawyers know what to do and can take immediate action on your behalf.
One Call, That’s All. Dial (901) 526-2126 Today.
Product liability cases involve highly complex litigation, but we’ve taken on some of the largest companies in the country and prevailed. Not only might you be entitled to damages, but you can help keep products safe for other users too. It’s important that you try to preserve any evidence that you have regarding the product.
Whether you come to see us in Memphis or we travel to meet with you in your home or at the hospital, the consultation is free — no strings attached. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day, and our firm has a second office location in Olive Branch, Mississippi. Let Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi, PLC fight for you.
Read About a Case We Handled in the Past:
Our firm represented the devastated families of a young couple who were prematurely taken from this world as the result of tire and vehicle design and manufacturing defects which abruptly ended their lives. The couple was on their way to obtain a marriage license when their vehicle, without warning, flipped and rolled uncontrollably, crushing the roof and killing the couple. Lawsuits based on defective product liability and negligence were filed on behalf of each of the families. Each of the cases was settled. Each settled for an amount in excess of $5,000,000.
View more verdicts and settlements.
We handle all products liability lawsuits on a contingency basis. Our product liability lawyers in Memphis do not charge any legal fees unless we obtain a settlement or verdict for you.
Tractor-Trailer Accident $6.8 Million
Fatal Car Accident $5 Million
Fatal Head Injury $4.5 Million
Vehicle Rollover Accident $1.8 Million
Fatal Car Accident $1.6 Million
Motorcycle Accident $1.3 Million
Tractor-Trailer Accident $1.1 Million
Commercial Vehicle Accident $1.1 Million
Tractor-Trailer Accident $1 Million
Tractor-Trailer Accident $1 Million
Tractor-Trailer Accident $1 Million
Construction Trailer Accident $1 Million
4-Way Stop $1 Million
Dump Truck Accident $1 Million
Highway Construction Zone Accident $1 Million
Pick-Up Truck Accident $1 Million
Disposal Truck Accident $979.8 Thousand
Tow Truck Accident $975 Thousand
Vehicle Rollover $865 Thousand
Passenger Injuries $865 Thousand
My attorney kept me informed every step and I am highly satisfied with the settlement.- Shenika S.
Their goal is to make their clients happy.- Marieme S.
They handled my case with such professionalism and very efficiently.- Landrick M.
When I called for a consultation, they were at my home the next day.- Tameka A.
If I could rate this law firm over 5 stars, I would give them 10 stars.- Carmen P.