How Common Are Truck Accidents?
Tennessee is home to over 2.8 million people over the age of 16 who commute to work each day by either car, truck, or van. With this many motorized vehicles routinely on the road, the possibility of being involved in an accident with a large truck (commonly referred to as a semi-truck or 18-wheeler) is quite high. According to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, thousands of people die on the road by this circumstance each year.
The infographic below includes some key statistics that every commuter should know.
Contact Our Firm Today
Start With a Free, No-Obligation ConsultationFree Case Review
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Reporting
- 4,761 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks in 2017.
- 78% of fatal crashes involving large trucks occur on weekdays.
- 62% of weekend truck crashes occur between 6 pm and 6 am.
- 72% of people killed in large truck crashes in 2017 were occupants in other vehicles.
- 21% of car drivers involved in fatal truck crashes in 2017 had a BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) of .08%.
Among these truck accidents, a majority of the accidents relate to these characteristics:
- Time of Day: 58% of accidents happen during the daytime (before 6 pm).
- Type of Roadway: 73% of these accidents occur on non-interstate roads.
- Geographic Region: 58% of these accidents take place in rural areas.
- Construction Impact: 5% of all large truck crashes happen in work zones.
Get a free case review today. There`s no fee unless we win!
Were You Injured in a Large Truck Accident? Contact Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi, PLC
Truck accidents can be devastating to a family regardless if a fatality occurs. Our Memphis Personal Injury Lawyers will work with you to make sure your rights are protected and just compensation is received.
Contact us today at (901) 526-2126 to schedule a consultation.