The loss of a loved one is always traumatic. However, if your loved one was killed in a Southaven, MS fatal accident, your pain might seem insurmountable. The trauma of having someone ripped from your life is unbearable.
When you have been dealt such a traumatic loss, you need a Southaven personal injury lawyer from Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC on your side.
Types of Fatal Accidents
Any type of accident can turn deadly, which is why you should always speak with a fatal accident lawyer in Southaven, MS after the unexpected loss of a loved one. The most common types of fatal accidents we represent clients for include the following:
- Motor vehicle crashes
- Slip and falls
- Premises liability (broken stairs, pool accidents, negligent security, inadequate lighting, etc.)
- Construction site accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Nursing home abuse
- Medical malpractice
- Truck accidents
- Defective products
Each of these types of accidents, while they might seem minor in nature, can leave lasting injuries that the victim fails to recover from, leading to death. Or, the victim might suffer fatal injuries on the scene of the accident or pass away later at the hospital. Either way, you deserve to be compensated for the loss of your loved one.
A Southaven, MS fatal accident attorney can ensure that your rights are protected.
Fatal Car Accident Statistics
As you might imagine, the most common fatal accident in Mississippi almost every year is a car accident. In 2020, 752 people died in 687 fatal car crashes in Mississippi, according to data from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). That equates to 25.4 deaths per 100,000 people and 1.90 deaths per 100 million miles traveled.
Fatal Construction Accident Statistics
In 2020, eight people died in fatal construction accidents, according to data from the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). This was an increase of one from 2019.
Contact Our Firm Today
Start With a Free, No-Obligation ConsultationFree Case Review
Why You Need a Fatal Accident Attorney in Southaven, MS
You are understandably distraught following the loss of a loved one due to a fatal accident. You likely are having trouble concentrating on daily tasks, making decisions, and going to work. Your life has been turned upside down, and you need someone who can take care of the legalities, insurance policies, and other important items associated with your loss.
A Southaven, MS fatal accident lawyer can do all of this for you and more. We will assist you with the following:
- Conducting an investigation into the accident that killed your loved one
- Obtaining all police reports, medical records, and other documents associated with the death
- Interviewing witnesses and obtaining photos or videos of the accident scene
- Handle all communication on your behalf with insurance companies and lawyers for the at-fault parties
- Build a case for compensation on your behalf
- Negotiate a settlement that you deem appropriate
- If a settlement cannot be reached, we will prepare the case for trial
- Communicate with you regularly so you have a clear understanding of the legal process and how your case is proceeding
Get a free case review today. There`s no fee unless we win!
The Timeframe to File a Claim in Mississippi
You might not be thinking about filing a lawsuit in the days after your loved one’s fatal accident. However, you need to consider this option sooner rather than later. Why?
Mississippi has a three-year statute of limitations in place for wrongful death claims. You might lose out on the chance to acquire compensation for your loved one’s death if you file past the deadline unless there were extenuating circumstances present.
Over $500 Million
Recovered on Behalf
of Our Clients
The Worth of a Wrongful Death Claim
It can be difficult to put a finite number on your wrongful death claim since each one is different. The value of your claim will be based on a number of factors, including the following:
- How your loved one died
- The severity of their injuries prior to death
- The level of negligence involved in the accident
- If the actions of the at-fault party were intentional
- The medical expenses for your loved one prior to death stemming from the accident
- The result of an accident investigation or reconstruction
- The impact your loved one had on the home, children, and your career or education
- The pain and suffering you and your children have endured
Many wrongful death claims also involve punitive damages. These are awarded by the court overseeing the case if the defendant acted purposefully. They are also awarded in the hopes that the defendant will not repeat those actions again, saving someone else from the same fate.
You will be able to seek the following damages in a claim:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages (current and future)
- Loss of benefits
- Loss of future earning potential
- Loss of consortium
- Rehabilitative costs
- Renovation costs (if your loved one was paralyzed by the accident and you had to remodel your home for a wheelchair or hospital bed prior to their death)
This is not an exhaustive list, and a Southaven, MS fatal accident lawyer can help determine additional damages you might be entitled to claim in a lawsuit.
Fighting for the MAXIMUM
Money for You
The Length of a Wrongful Death Claim
Wrongful death claims can take anywhere from a couple of months to more than four years to resolve, it will all depend on the circumstances noted earlier. Many wrongful death claims can be resolved quickly, within a span of a few months, if the case is cut and dry when it comes to assigning liability. If there is doubt present regarding liability, or there are multiple liable parties, the claim can take anywhere from one to four years or more to resolve.
Put Montesi`s Power
Lawyers to Work for You
Call a Southaven, MS Fatal Accident Lawyer Today
If you have experienced the loss of a loved one in a fatal accident, you deserve compensation for damages. Call a Southaven, MS fatal accident lawyer from Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC, or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation today. When you have nowhere else to turn following the death of a loved one, you can count on our team to fight for your right to compensation.