Texting and Driving and the Impact on Road Safety
There are many ways a driver can become distracted. From tending to children in the backseat to eating while driving and using navigation devices, taking your eyes off the road can result in a severe car crash. One of the most dangerous distracted driving behaviors is texting and driving, which is a serious concern for road safety. Here’s what you need to know.
For a free legal consultation, call (901) 526-2126
The Prevalence of Distracted Driving
- Texting and driving causes approximately 1.6 million car accidents in the U.S. each year.
- 4,637 people lost their lives in cell-phone-related crashes in 2018.
- Every year almost 390,000 injuries are related to texting and driving crashes.
- Teens and inexperienced drivers are more likely to be involved in a texting and driving crash compared to more experienced drivers.
- Roughly 660,000 drivers are using their cell phones at any given moment.
- Approximately 6,000 deaths are caused by texting and driving in the U.S. every year.
- Drivers are 23% more likely to crash a car if they read or send a text message.
How to Stop the Temptation of Cell Phone Use While Driving
When you hear the text message notification tone go off while you’re driving, it’s so tempting to look and send a quick reply. However, a quick response could lead to a severe car accident. According to the NHTSA, sending or reading text messages takes your eye off the road for approximately 5 seconds — which is like driving the entire distance of a football field with your eyes closed. Here are some tips on how to stop texting while driving:
- Put your phone on silent mode.
- Turn off your cell phone.
- Keep your cell phone in your trunk or glove box where it’s out of reach.
If you must use your cell phone while on the road, find a safe spot to pull over to make your calls or answer your texts. Only proceed back on the road when your text or phone conversation is complete.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
If You’ve Been Injured in a Car Crash, We Can Help
When a careless driver causes a severe accident that could have been prevented, it’s devastating, to say the least. When a car crash results in serious harm, our personal injury lawyers are here to protect your rights. Our firm won’t let the insurance companies get away with offering lowball settlements. We’ll fight for the compensation you deserve.
It’s Easy With Montesi! Contact us today at (901) 526-2126 to schedule a consultation and learn your rights.