When seeking legal representation following a bus accident, choosing the right attorney specializing in this area of law is crucial. Bus accidents can be complex and involve multiple parties, so hiring an experienced South Memphis bus accident lawyer from Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi, PLC, is essential.
Common Bus Accident Injuries
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, in 2020, 4,998 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes in the United States. Bus accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, which can vary in severity depending on the circumstances of the accident. Some common bus accident injuries include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a neck injury caused by a sudden back-and-forth head movement, typically occurring during rear-end collisions. It can result in neck pain, stiffness, and reduced range of motion.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Soft tissue injuries include sprains, strains, and contusions (bruises) that can affect muscles, tendons, and ligaments. These injuries can cause pain, swelling, and reduced mobility.
- Fractures: Broken bones are a common outcome of bus accidents, especially in high-impact collisions. Fractures can occur in various body parts, such as the arms, legs, ribs, and collarbone.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs): TBIs can range from mild concussions to severe brain damage, depending on the force of the impact. Symptoms may include headaches, dizziness, confusion, memory loss, and changes in mood or behavior.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries can result from vertebrae, discs, or spinal cord damage. These injuries can lead to temporary or permanent paralysis, loss of sensation, or chronic pain.
- Lacerations and Abrasions: Cuts and scrapes can occur from broken glass, sharp metal, or other debris during a bus accident. These injuries may require stitches or other medical interventions to heal properly.
- Internal Injuries: Internal injuries can involve damage to organs, blood vessels, or internal bleeding. These injuries can be life-threatening and may require emergency medical attention.
- Crush Injuries: Crush injuries occur when a part of the body is trapped and compressed between two objects, such as during a rollover accident. This can lead to broken bones, nerve damage, and internal injuries.
- Psychological Injuries: Bus accidents can also psychologically impact those involved. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, and depression are common psychological injuries that may require therapy or counseling to address.
It is essential to seek medical attention promptly after a bus accident, even if you feel fine initially. Some injuries may not present symptoms immediately. Early diagnosis and treatment can help ensure the best possible recovery.
Contact Our Firm Today
Start With a Free, No-Obligation ConsultationFree Case Review
Typical Causes of Bus Accidents
Bus accidents can occur due to various factors, and determining the cause is crucial for establishing liability and seeking compensation.
Driver error, fatigue, and distraction are common causes of such accidents. Bus drivers can make mistakes or exhibit poor judgment, leading to accidents, such as speeding, tailgating, or failing to yield. Fatigue can significantly impair a bus driver’s ability to concentrate and react, especially when dealing with long hours and irregular schedules. Distracted driving, whether using electronic devices, eating, drinking, or engaging in other activities, can also majorly contribute to accidents.
Vehicle Maintenance and Defective Components
Poor vehicle maintenance, defective components, and inadequate driver training are significant factors in bus accidents. Buses need regular maintenance for safe operation, and neglect can result in mechanical failures like brake malfunctions or tire blowouts. Manufacturing defects in components can also cause accidents when they fail. Improperly trained bus drivers might be unable to navigate challenging situations or manage emergencies.
External Factors and Other Causes
External factors, including road and weather conditions or other motorists’ actions, can contribute to bus accidents. Hazardous roads and adverse weather can challenge bus drivers, while reckless drivers or inadequate security measures may also cause accidents. Identifying the cause is essential for liability and compensation purposes, and a skilled bus accident attorney in South Memphis can help investigate and hold responsible parties accountable.
Get a free case review today. There`s no fee unless we win!
Navigating the Aftermath of a Bus Accident
Experiencing a bus accident can be a traumatic and overwhelming event, leaving you uncertain about what to do next. Your actions immediately after the incident can significantly impact your ability to seek compensation for your injuries and damages.
Assess Your Injuries and Seek Medical Attention
Immediately following a bus accident, evaluate your injuries and those of others around you. If you or anyone else requires urgent medical attention, call 911. Even if your injuries seem minor, it’s crucial to consult a healthcare professional, as some injuries may not manifest symptoms immediately.
Contact the Authorities
Notify the police of the accident so they can file an official report. This report will be critical evidence when pursuing a personal injury claim. Be sure to provide accurate details and avoid speculation when recounting the incident.
Document the Accident Scene
Collect evidence by taking photos or videos of the accident scene, the involved vehicles, and any visible injuries if it’s safe. This documentation can help establish the cause of the accident and strengthen your case.
Gather Witness Information
Speak with any witnesses at the scene and collect their contact information. Witness statements can corroborate your account of the accident and provide valuable insights into the incident.
Report the Accident to Your Insurance Company
Inform your insurance company about the accident as soon as possible. Be truthful but avoid admitting fault or providing unnecessary details. Remember that insurance companies may try to minimize their payouts, so be cautious in your interactions with them.
Consult a Bus Accident Attorney
Seek the guidance of an experienced bus accident attorney who can help you navigate the complexities of your case. They can advise you on the best course of action, handle negotiations with insurance companies, and represent you in court if necessary.
Keep a Record of Medical Expenses and Lost Wages
Maintain a record of all medical expenses related to your injuries and any lost wages due to missed work. This documentation can help you pursue adequate compensation for the financial impact of the accident.
Follow Your Medical Treatment Plan
Adhere to the treatment plan prescribed by your healthcare provider. This demonstrates that you are taking your recovery seriously and helps support your compensation claim.
Over $500 Million
Recovered on Behalf
of Our Clients
How a South Memphis Bus Accident Attorney Can Help
An attorney, particularly one experienced in handling bus accident cases, can provide invaluable assistance in several ways. They can offer sound legal advice tailored to your situation, helping you understand your rights and the best course of action. They can also guide you through the complex legal processes, ensuring you adhere to deadlines and avoid common pitfalls that may jeopardize your claim.
Fighting for the MAXIMUM
Money for You
Contact Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi, PLC, for a Bus Accident Lawyer in South Memphis
By managing the legal aspects of your case, a South Memphis bus accident lawyer from Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi, PLC, allows you to focus on your recovery while ensuring your interests are protected and your chances of receiving fair compensation are maximized. Contact us today.