It is a scary thought that when you go for a walk to the store, to school, to work, or for exercise in Germantown, Mississippi, you might suffer an injury as a pedestrian. However, it is a sad fact that pedestrians can suffer life-threatening injuries when hit by a motor vehicle. There is no protection from vehicles when out for a walk.
You can take all the safety measures possible and still be involved in an accident. A Germantown pedestrian accident lawyer from Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC can guide you through a claim.
The Dangers of Being a Pedestrian
While going for a walk might seem like a great idea, there are a lot of unknowns walking around town. Even when you use the sidewalk, obey all walk signals, follow traffic lights, and do not dart out into traffic, you can still find yourself injured on the side of the road. Some of the dangers of being a pedestrian include the following:
- There is no protection from a moving vehicle.
- Your head can easily strike a vehicle, the ground, or another fixed object when hit by a vehicle.
- If you are hit by a vehicle traveling 25 MPH, you can still suffer serious injuries.
A pedestrian accident lawyer in Germantown can investigate the crash that left you injured, speak to witnesses, collect evidence, and negotiate a settlement with the insurance company of the at-fault party that caused your injuries.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving Germantown, call (901) 526-2126
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
The most common injuries our lawyers see from pedestrian accidents include the following:
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Abdominal injuries
- Chest injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Internal bleeding
Germantown Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (901) 526-2126
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents happen for many different reasons and a large number of them are due to driver negligence. Our lawyers handle pedestrian accident cases that were caused by the following:
- Impaired driving
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Ignoring traffic laws
- Failing to yield at intersections
- Ignoring red lights and stop signs
- Failing to look for pedestrians before turning
How to File a Pedestrian Accident Claim
First of all, you should always seek medical care when involved in a pedestrian accident. Even if the vehicle simply tapped you, it is vital that you go to a doctor for evaluation and care. Having a record of medical care will improve the chances of your case succeeding.
You should then speak to a pedestrian accident attorney in Germantown about the accident. Do not delay speaking with a lawyer. It can hurt your chances of securing compensation for your injuries.
The lawyer will explain the entire legal process, inform you of the documents needed to file a claim, and guide you along the way. Once you secure legal representation, you will explain everything that happened to the lawyer, who will then send demand letters, if necessary. The lawyer will then handle all communication with the defendant’s lawyer, their insurance company, and anyone else involved in the case.
A Germantown pedestrian accident attorney will make sure that you file the claim before the statute of limitations, which in Mississippi is a period of three years from the date of the accident. Missing this deadline by just one day can derail your case and prevent you from receiving compensation for your injuries.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Determining the Value of a Pedestrian Accident Claim
Until a lawyer reviews the facts of the accident, it can be challenging to assign a value to a claim. There are a variety of factors that go into determining the value of a personal injury claim, including the following:
- The level of negligence on the part of the at-fault driver
- If the driver acted on purpose
- If the driver was inebriated
- The severity of your injuries
- How long your doctors expect you to take to recover
- If your injuries are permanent
- How long you will be unable to work
- The cost of your current medical bills
- The estimated cost of lifetime medical care
- If your home needs to be renovated because you are paralyzed and require a wheelchair
These are just some of the factors that go into determining the value of a pedestrian accident claim. On top of these items, you might be awarded punitive damages. Punitive damages are awarded by a judge to punish a defendant in a case if they acted intentionally.
Punitive damages can total millions of dollars and are awarded on top of any other compensation you might receive for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitative costs
- Renovation costs
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Loss of the enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Questions to Ask at an Initial Consultation with a Germantown Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Once you schedule an initial consultation with a lawyer, you should prepare a list of questions ahead of time to ask the lawyer at the meeting. The most important questions to ask include the following:
- Do you work on contingency?
- What other fees will I need to pay throughout the case?
- Will you handle my case or will it be someone else from your firm?
- How do you communicate with your clients?
- Can you talk to the insurance company on my behalf?
- What are the chances of winning my case?
- If I do not win, will I owe you anything?
- What documents do you need from me to begin the process?
Once you get answers to these questions, you can make a strong determination about how successful your case might be should a claim be filed. Do not waste another moment. The clock to file a claim starts ticking the date of the accident.
Contact a Germantown pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible to protect your rights.
Call a Germantown Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one have suffered an injury as a pedestrian, you need strong legal representation to protect your rights. At Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenue & Montesi PLC, we fight vehemently for the rights of our clients. Schedule a consultation with a Germantown pedestrian accident lawyer by calling our office or submitting our contact form today.