Pedestrians injured in accidents caused by irresponsible drivers deserve full compensation. A Covington personal injury lawyer will advocate to secure damages when drivers, insurers, and other liable parties fail to take proper responsibility. If you or a loved one has suffered in a pedestrian crash, contact a knowledgeable Covington pedestrian accident lawyer for dedicated legal representation.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Driver distraction and negligence frequently play major roles in causing pedestrian accidents. Texting while driving severely impairs the focus and attention drivers must maintain to notice crossing pedestrians and react in time. Speeding through busy areas with pedestrian traffic also endangers walker safety by reducing a driver’s ability to stop quickly.
Completely ignoring traffic signs, signals, and pedestrian crosswalk warnings heightens risks to people attempting to cross streets legally. Impaired driving because of intoxication or drug use slows driver reaction time substantially, often eliminating an ability to avoid walkers in their path. All represent negligence on the part of motorists to operate their vehicles responsibly.
However, pedestrians also must take reasonable precautions for their own safety, such as:
- Using crosswalks at intersections rather than jaywalking
- Avoiding impairment from substances themselves while walking near roads
- Wearing visible clothing at night
- Watching for oncoming traffic, even at crossings
The primary responsibility ultimately falls upon motorists operating powerful machines capable of easily harming pedestrians following the rules. Negligent or reckless driving behaviors that directly cause pedestrian injuries warrant legal accountability and fair compensation to victims.
Contact Our Firm Today
Start With a Free, No-Obligation ConsultationFree Case Review
Gathering Strong Evidence to Prove a Claim
Proving negligence and damages following a pedestrian accident requires diligent evidence gathering and documentation. An attorney immediately undertakes key investigative steps when you become their client. Knowing the specific steps can help you throughout your case.
Your legal team will capture the accident scene through detailed photos and video showing exactly where the point of impact occurred. They can demonstrate the sight lines that each party had, signage and signals present, and any other contributing factors. Were lighting conditions poor? Was the pedestrian legally within a crosswalk at the time? Answering these questions provides crucial evidence.
Your pedestrian accident attorney in Covington can gather critical evidence, such as the police report, which shows:
- The responding officers’ initial assessments of liability
- Their conclusions about factors leading to the crash.
- Witness statements they gathered that are now on record
However, attorneys cannot rely solely on police findings, which require much further investigation and analysis. They can also subpoena data from the vehicle’s event data recorder or “black box” showing speed, braking activity, throttle usage, and other important telemetry. This information can reveal negligent driving behaviors like excessive speed or distracted driving at the time of impact.
Get a free case review today. There`s no fee unless we win!
Steps to Take Immediately After an Accident
Being injured as a pedestrian hit by a vehicle can be mentally traumatic, on top of causing physical harm. Once initial emergencies are addressed, you must take important steps promptly for the best outcome of your case. To fully protect your legal rights and ability to obtain compensation, follow these recommendations:
- Call 911 and wait for police officers, EMTs, and other first responders to arrive at the scene. Provide a factual statement when asked about what occurred, but avoid admitting any guilt or accepting any blame.
- Seek prompt, professional medical evaluation and treatment, even for seemingly minor pains, bruises, or scrapes, as some serious accident injuries take days or weeks to manifest fully. Keep diligently attending all follow-up medical appointments until given clearance by your doctor.
- Exchange contact, insurance, and vehicle information with the driver. Take photos of the driver’s license, insurance card, license plate, vehicle make and model, and damage to the vehicle, and get the at-fault driver’s insurer claim number.
- Obtain the names and contact information of any witnesses who saw the crash and would be willing to give an official statement. Interview witnesses yourself as early as possible to capture the most accurate recollections before memories fade.
- Avoid discussing fault or responsibility with anyone other than the investigating police and your attorney. Do not sign any documents provided by insurers without your attorney reviewing them first.
- Save any damaged property like glasses, canes, mobility aids, clothing, or shoes. Get estimates for repairing or replacing them. Document your injuries with photos.
Taking the right steps right away lays the foundation for building a future claim if needed. You should only focus primarily on your recovery. Allow a Covington pedestrian accident attorney to handle the legal matters.
Over $500 Million
Recovered on Behalf
of Our Clients
Factors that Strengthen Pedestrian Accident Claims
Several key factors can substantially strengthen a pedestrian accident claim when present. Evidence showing the pedestrian was legally within a crosswalk when struck carries strong implications for driver liability. Video footage capturing the actual collision and demonstrating the dangerous driving behaviors of the motorist that led to the impact serves as highly persuasive evidence of fault.
Showing a history of traffic violations, previous accidents, or reckless driving by the motorist that insurers should have known also strengthens negligence claims. Severe injuries like traumatic brain damage or spinal cord paralysis that impose steep, lifelong medical costs and permanent life limitations warrant the pursuit of higher settlements. Uncooperative insurers who refuse reasonable demands despite clear liability make litigation a more viable avenue likely to achieve a greater recovery.
Deep insurance policy limits and any additional policies applicable to the accident also provide more extensive resources for full compensation. Maximizing recovery in pedestrian accident claims requires attorneys who document and demonstrate these liability factors and damages. A strong and experienced litigator knows how to build leverage at both the negotiation table and in the courtroom when needed.
Fighting for the MAXIMUM
Money for You
Negotiating Fair Compensation Settlements
Once the full extent of damages, losses, and long-term effects of injuries are thoroughly documented and calculated, negotiations typically begin with the at-fault driver’s insurance company to seek fair compensation through an out-of-court settlement. Insurers almost always make very low initial offers, hoping injured parties will accept fast without exploring their full legal options. You should reject rushed settlements before establishing the maximum potential value of your claim.
Hiring an experienced personal injury attorney helps your case since insurers have teams of pedestrian accident lawyers in Covington protecting their own interests. Attorneys should have the negotiation skills and willingness to litigate if needed so they can motivate insurers to offer fair settlements.
Settlements can provide a faster resolution to your case, but only once the full claim value is proven. If insurers do not negotiate reasonably, a lawsuit allows you to have your day in court to present evidence before a jury.
Put Montesi`s Power
Lawyers to Work for You
You Deserve Justice for Your Pedestrian Injury
Getting injured by a vehicle as a pedestrian can be emotionally draining and traumatizing. It is in your best interest to seek legal representation, but sometimes, it can be too much as you try to heal. Contact us for a free consultation, and let our team help you through the entire process.