There is plenty of opportunity for accidents and injury in and around construction zones. Sharp tools, massive vehicles, electrical equipment, and dangerous chemicals must be handled with great care, and the slightest mistake or oversight can cause terrible damage.
If you are injured at a construction site, it is important to speak with a Hernando personal injury lawyer from GKBM as quickly as possible following your accident. A Hernando construction accident lawyer from our team will work to get you the substantial compensation you need to recover.
How a Hernando Construction Accident Attorney Can Help
It is likely you will need emergency medical care after a construction accident incident. Even if you do not think your injuries are deadly or permanent, seek medical care promptly. Sometimes, damage from head or neck injuries takes a few hours or a day to appear, but delaying treatment even for those hours can affect your recovery and put your potential injury claim at risk.
Once you are medically cared for, connect with a Hernando construction accident lawyer from GKBM, whether you are a worker at the site or a civilian. If you are a worker on the site, you probably qualify for workers’ compensation. However, if a third party’s negligence caused your accident, you can file a third-party claim to hold that party accountable.
Since injuries from a construction accident are typically severe and come with long-term consequences, you need a construction accident lawyer in Hernando to fight for the compensation you need. Your lawyer will:
- Examine the circumstances of your accident, determining what happened and identifying the negligent party.
- Collect evidence proving the at-fault party’s negligence and supporting your settlement demand.
- File a personal injury claim within Mississippi’s three-year statute of limitations, and prepare and submit all other legal documentation.
- Manage all communication and negotiations with the at-fault party’s insurance company.
- Provide superior representation if you need to take your case to court.
Contact Our Firm Today
Start With a Free, No-Obligation ConsultationFree Case Review
Common Causes of Construction Injuries in Hernando
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) identifies the top four construction site hazards. They are:
- Falls: Workers are often on high scaffolding or platforms, working on upper-level floors with open stairwells or floor openings or on ladders.
- Struck-by: Debris often falls from high places or vehicles. Other times, vehicles such as cranes “swing” heavy objects from one place to another.
- Caught-Between: Construction sites often have trenches that can trap workers. Workers can also get caught between vehicles or vehicle parts.
- Electrocutions: Power lines may be unmarked or exposed, portable electrical equipment may not be grounded, or circuits can experience a dangerous surge or interruption.
Get a free case review today. There`s no fee unless we win!
Common Types of Construction Injuries
Construction site hazards can cause a wide variety of injuries. Some, however, are more commonly seen than others.
Lacerations and Amputations
Many construction tools or vehicles are equipped with sharp blades or jagged saws. These blades are strong enough to cut through materials with much more resistance than human skin, tissue, and bones. These powerful instruments can malfunction, causing deep lacerations or limb amputations to the worker using them or others nearby.
Construction vehicles are designed to transport heavy equipment and supplies, demolish structures, break through earth or concrete, pave roads, pour cement, and many other heavy duties. These vehicles are outfitted with complex systems for steering and braking and have low visibility, and can be hard to control, especially for inexperienced operators.
Workers can sustain severe or deadly injuries if they are hit or run over by these vehicles. Drivers passing by a construction area can also collide with construction trucks. Crushed bodies and bones, as well as other serious injuries, are a likely result.
Falls from high places can also produce bone breaks.
Third-degree burns damage the first three layers of skin, the fatty tissue beneath the skin, and can damage or destroy nerves, hair follicles, and sweat glands. These burns leave scars and can leave victims with significant disfigurement. Burn treatment often involves complicated surgeries, skin grafts, and reconstruction. Construction site burns can result from:
- Skin exposure to toxic chemicals
- Inhalation of toxic chemicals–which can burn the eyes, nose, throat, windpipe, and airways
- Gas line explosions
- Welding accidents
- Contact with open flames
- Contact with boiling substances or hot surfaces
- Electric shock
Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury
If hit by a flying object or by sustaining a fall, a worker can suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI), causing severe cognitive and physical damage that may be permanent. Victims of TBI often experience diminished ability to reason, think rationally, process information, and remember. The damage may also prevent the brain from sending messages to the body, diminishing or destroying elements of physical functioning.
Falls or blows to the head can also damage the spinal cord, leading to partial or total paralysis or other issues with sensation, strength, and movement that may be permanent.
Over $500 Million
Recovered on Behalf
of Our Clients
Get a Settlement for a Hernando Construction Accident
You will need financial support after sustaining a serious construction accident, and a construction accident attorney in Hernando can help you secure it. Your attorney will evaluate your losses thoroughly and pursue compensation to cover or recognize your:
- Medical care, both current and future accident-related needs
- Income loss for wages missed during recovery and future lost earnings and benefits if you cannot go back to work
- Property damage, if you were in a private vehicle that was damaged in the accident, for example
- Emotional trauma and psychological distress
- Physical pain, scarring, or disfigurement
- Reduced enjoyment of life
These heavy losses warrant fair compensation.
Fighting for the MAXIMUM
Money for You
Your Recovery Is Our Fight
You should not have to fight for compensation while fighting to recover. No injury victim should. And you do not have to.
Contact GKBM today to schedule a free consultation with a Hernando construction accident lawyer. Those responsible for your injuries will experience the full force of our legal knowledge, experience, resources, and skill. The team at GKBM does all the fighting for you, and we fight hard to hold negligent parties accountable and get you a just settlement.