Walking to your destination has many benefits and can be good for your health and your pocket. Being a pedestrian also comes with risks, however. Sharing the roadways with drivers can be dangerous, especially with increasing traffic and distractions. You may need help from a personal injury attorney in Hernando.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. A Hernando pedestrian accident attorney can investigate your accident and determine whether you may have a claim. With the help of Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC, you may recover your losses and be able to focus on recovering.
How Pedestrian Accidents Happen
Pedestrian accidents can be caused by a number of factors, many of which are out of the pedestrian’s control. Common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Speeding: Even if a driver sees you, they may not be able to stop in time if they are driving too fast.
- Distractions: Distractions for drivers can include texting or other phone use, eating and drinking, changing the radio station, and talking to a passenger.
- Poor driving conditions: The abundance of rain in Hernando can make visibility poor for many drivers and increase the chances of pedestrian accidents.
- Disobeying traffic laws: Drivers who are in a hurry may not yield the right of way, stop at crosswalks, or reduce their speed in parking lots.
- Intoxication: Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs reduces a driver’s cognitive ability, rendering them unable to see a pedestrian or stop in time to avoid a collision.
Even if you are taking steps to stay safe as a pedestrian, accidents can happen. If you have been the victim of a pedestrian accident, you should contact a pedestrian accident lawyer in Hernando to help you investigate the cause of your accident and determine whether a claim can be filed on your behalf.
Contact Our Firm Today
Start With a Free, No-Obligation ConsultationFree Case Review
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, there are several steps you should take that may increase your chances of obtaining compensation for your losses.
- Take photos of the accident scene and your injuries.
- Get contact information for anyone who witnessed your accident.
- Seek medical attention immediately after your accident.
- Avoid talking to insurance companies.
- Keep a journal of your symptoms and what you recall about your accident.
- Keep a record of your medical bills and any other expenses related to your accident.
- Follow your doctor’s orders.
- Avoid talking about your accident on social media.
- Contact a Hernando pedestrian accident attorney as soon as possible and keep them updated regarding your injury status and medical treatment.
Following these recommendations will help you recover from your injuries faster and increase your chances of recovering compensation for your losses.
Get a free case review today. There`s no fee unless we win!
Potential At-Fault Parties in Your Pedestrian Accident
While drivers are often the ones responsible for pedestrian accidents, there are times when other parties may be at fault. For example, if you were struck by a vehicle with a defective part, the auto part manufacturer may be to blame. In this case, you may also have a claim against the part supplier or distributor.
If the road on which you were struck has poor conditions that prevented the driver from colliding with you, a government agency or municipality may be responsible for your accident. Sometimes, the companies hired to work on the roads may be at fault if the road conditions made your accident unavoidable.
If you were hit by a drunk driver, the restaurant or bar that overserved the driver may be liable for your collision. It is illegal to sell alcohol to an individual who is already intoxicated.
In Mississippi, even if you were partly responsible for your pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to recover some compensation for your losses. An experienced pedestrian accident attorney in Hernando can review options your regarding a potential claim with you.
Over $500 Million
Recovered on Behalf
of Our Clients
Injuries from Pedestrian Accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that a pedestrian is injured every 9 minutes and killed every 71 minutes in traffic accidents. Injuries can range from minor to fatal. Examples of injuries suffered in pedestrian accidents include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Loss of limbs
If you have suffered one of these or any other injuries in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Contacting an experienced lawyer at Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC can increase your chances of obtaining payment for your losses.
Fighting for the MAXIMUM
Money for You
Damages that Can be Recovered in Pedestrian Accidents
As a pedestrian accident victim, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your monetary and non-monetary losses. Your monetary losses include expenses such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Physical therapy costs
- Loss of future income
- Funeral expenses
In Mississippi, your non-economic losses are limited to $1,000,000.00 and can include:
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Physical impairment or disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of enjoyment of life
You could also receive punitive damages if it is proven that the party responsible for your pedestrian accident acted in a grossly negligent manner. The Hernando pedestrian accident lawyers at Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC can review your losses and fight for the compensation you are entitled to.
Put Montesi`s Power
Lawyers to Work for You
Tips for Preventing Pedestrian Accidents
There are steps you can take to reduce your chances of becoming a pedestrian accident victim. These precautions include:
- Reducing distractions and noise
- Crossing the street only at crosswalks and intersections
- Wearing visible clothing
- Walking on sidewalks or shoulders facing traffic
- Remaining alert
- Staying off your phone
Drivers can also take steps to reduce collisions with pedestrians, including:
- Looking for pedestrians everywhere
- Avoiding distractions while driving
- Obeying the speed limit
- Not passing at intersections or crosswalks
- Avoiding driving under the influence
- Remaining focused on the road
Get Qualified Help When Filing a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, it may be in your best interest to file a legal claim against the responsible parties. To discuss your potential claim and legal options, contact Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC as soon as possible. Our pedestrian accident attorneys will meet with you and determine the best course of action to recover the maximum compensation for your injuries.