Many people rely on buses to get to work and to get their children to school. Riding a bus has a variety of benefits, from reducing traffic to saving gas money. Riding a bus does not come without risks, however. Bus accidents happen.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bus accident, you need the help of a Hernando bus accident attorney to help you navigate your legal options. Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC can evaluate your potential case. Let an experienced Hernando personal injury lawyer determine what compensation you may be entitled to recover.
Kinds of Buses
You have probably seen several different kinds of buses on the Hernando roadways, including the following common types:
- Public transit buses: Local public transit buses, including Delta Rides, transport individuals to work, medical centers, and other destinations.
- School buses: Buses serving the DeSoto County School District transport nearly 19,000 students to and from school every day.
- Charter buses: Charter, or coach, buses often transport groups of people to destinations further away and are popular due to their comfort and amenities.
- Freight buses: These buses transport cargo rather than people and are designed to carry heavy loads.
Depending on the type of bus involved in your accident, you may have different options for filing an accident claim. In addition to taking these steps, you should contact a bus accident attorney in Hernando so they can review your options with you.
Contact Our Firm Today
Start With a Free, No-Obligation ConsultationFree Case Review
The Risks of Buses
Despite the advantages of riding a bus, there are also risks. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were over 48,600 bus crashes in 2021. With more than 30,000 highway miles in Mississippi, it is important to be aware of the inherent dangers of buses.
- Size: Buses are much larger and heavier than cars and trucks, with most weighing more than 40,000 pounds. The size and weight of buses often increase the severity of injuries obtained in accidents.
- Number of Passengers: Because buses can carry a large number of people, the cabin may become loud and crowded. The noise and activity can be a distraction for the driver, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Limited Safety Features: Most buses are not equipped with seatbelts or airbags. The lack of safety features can worsen injuries caused by accidents.
Although there are inherent risks, riding a bus is the best option and mode of transportation for many people.
Get a free case review today. There`s no fee unless we win!
Types of Bus Accidents
There are several different types of bus accidents that you could be involved in. Here are some examples:
- The bus you are on collides with another vehicle or object.
- You are in a different vehicle or on a bicycle and are hit by a bus.
- You are a pedestrian and are hit by a bus.
Regardless of the type of bus accident you have been injured in, it is wise to contact a bus accident lawyer in Hernando to discuss the legal options you may have for recovery.
Over $500 Million
Recovered on Behalf
of Our Clients
Causes of Bus Accidents
As with any motor vehicle, there can be many causes of bus accidents.
- Driver negligence: The bus driver may have been the cause of your bus accident if they were distracted, speeding, impaired, or tired.
- Poor bus maintenance: Every type of bus must be regularly maintained and inspected to ensure proper operation. If a bus has problems with its brakes, lights, or tires, an accident can happen.
- Weather and road conditions: Poor visibility, wet roadways, or narrow shoulders can increase the chances of a bus accident, especially considering the increased difficulty of maneuvering a large vehicle.
- Lack of driver training: Driving any kind of large bus requires special training. Without that special education, the chance of a bus driver being involved in an accident increases.
You should contact a Hernando bus accident lawyer to investigate your bus accident and determine if you are entitled to compensation for your injuries.
Fighting for the MAXIMUM
Money for You
Injuries from Bus Accidents
As discussed above, the size of buses and their lack of safety features may increase the severity of the injuries you receive in a bus accident. These injuries can include:
- Bruises, cuts, and lacerations
- Broken bones
- Head and Neck Injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Organ damage
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bus accident, an experienced bus accident lawyer at Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Put Montesi`s Power
Lawyers to Work for You
Responsibility for Your Bus Accident
Recovering compensation for losses in a bus accident can be challenging, depending on who is liable for the accident. There are different laws that govern how your legal claim must be handled based on the party at fault.
The statute of limitations in Mississippi for making a personal injury claim is typically three years from the accident date. However, if a government agency owns and operates the bus, the rules are different. You must file a lawsuit against a government agency within one year of your accident.
If a government entity is responsible for your bus accident, it may be protected from a lawsuit, depending on the circumstances of the accident. This is known as sovereign immunity. A skilled bus accident lawyer in Hernando knows the laws in Mississippi and can determine the best course of action to get you maximum compensation for your losses.
Damages in Bus Accidents
The type of compensation you can receive for your bus accident depends on the losses you have. You can have monetary and non-monetary damages.
- Monetary: These damages include your healthcare costs, lost wages, property damage, and loss of future earning capacity.
- Non-Monetary: Your pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and emotional trauma can be included in these damages.
In some cases, you could also be awarded punitive damages for your accident if it is proven that the at-fault party acted with gross negligence and a willful disregard for your safety. Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC will work to get you the maximum amount of damages possible to compensate you for your losses.
Getting Help for Your Bus Accident
A bus accident can leave you injured and unable to work or function as you did prior to your accident. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, you should consult an experienced Hernando bus accident attorney as soon as possible to review your options for recovery.
Contacting Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC for a free consultation as soon as possible can help you navigate the steps you should take after your bus accident. We will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries.