Truck accidents can be the most devastating crashes in Oakville. Whether you are driving a motorcycle, car, van, SUV, motorcycle, or perhaps riding a bicycle or walking, being involved in a truck accident can change your life in an instant. Injuries can lead to paralysis, amputation, internal organ damage, and death.
An Oakville truck accident lawyer from Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC can help you navigate the legal waters associated with filing a claim.
The Dangers of Large Trucks
Commercial trucks, also referred to as tractor-trailers, are the largest vehicles on the road today. Even though they transport goods, food, clothing, and other materials, these trucks are quite dangerous to pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists, and motorists because of their sheer size. The dangers of large trucks include the following:
- The majority of trucks are 20 to 30 times heavier than passenger cars
- Trucks have more ground clearance compared to cars
- Trucks are much taller than traditional motor vehicles
- Truck driver fatigue is a serious problem
- Trucks require a lot of space to come to a complete and safe stop
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Oakville, call (901) 526-2126
Large Truck Statistics
It is hard to ignore the statistics surrounding large trucks and how these accidents occur. The numbers are scary for drivers of traditional vehicles:
- Large trucks made up five percent of all registered vehicles on the roads of the United States in 2020
- Large trucks accounted for 10 percent of all vehicle miles traveled in the United States in 2020
- In 2020, large truck drivers were involved in 1.3 fatal accidents per 100 million miles driven
- There were 4,014 people killed in 2020 in accidents involving large trucks
- 68 percent of the victims were riding in smaller vehicles
- 16 percent of the victims were bicyclists, pedestrians, or motorcyclists
- Large trucks were involved in 10 percent of all fatal motor vehicle crashes in the country in 2020
- In crashes involving just two vehicles, a large truck and a passenger vehicle, 97 percent of the fatalities were people traveling in the passenger vehicles
Oakville Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (901) 526-2126
Injuries Caused by Truck Accidents
The victims of a truck accident can suffer horrific injuries. Whether minor or major, a truck accident crash can suffer any of the following injuries:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Damage to internal organs
- Road rash
It is vital that you seek medical care immediately following a truck accident. Having a record of care will help the chances of your case succeeding either during negotiations or if it reaches the trial stage and goes in front of a judge. Be sure to follow all of the doctor’s orders for self-care and continue to take all prescribed medications until the doctor tells you to stop.
How a Lawyer Can Help When Injured in an Oakville Truck Accident
Once you have sought medical care, you should speak to an experienced Oakville truck accident lawyer about what happened. A lawyer has the resources to review the evidence, the crash scene, speak to witnesses, and much more. You will no longer have to deal with insurance adjusters and lawyers for the defendant contacting you.
An attorney will handle all of these communications on your behalf. A truck accident lawyer in Oakville has your best interests in mind, looking for all possible avenues for compensation. It can be challenging to represent yourself when you do not know the law.
Let a truck accident attorney protect your right to compensation so you can focus on recovery.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Deadline to File a Claim
You need to secure legal representation as soon as possible when injured in a truck accident because the timeframe to file a claim in Tennessee is only one year from the date of the accident. Should you fail to file by the deadline, you could lose out on the chance to recover compensation. Not all late cases will be dismissed.
If there are circumstances beyond your control, the judge might grant an extension to file. Some circumstances that could come into play include the following:
- You were incapacitated in the crash and unable to file a claim
- You could not find the defendant because they lied about their identity or fled the state
- You were a minor when the truck accident occurred
A lawyer will be able to review the circumstances of your case and inform you as to whether or not you have a chance to succeed with a claim.
Explaining the Value of a Truck Accident Claim
No one can place a definite number on the value of your truck accident claim before reviewing all of the circumstances surrounding it. There are a variety of circumstances that can impact the value of a truck accident claim, including the following:
- If your injuries are expected to be permanent
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The level of negligence on the part of the at-fault driver
- If the at-fault driver acted intentionally
- How much time you have already missed at work and how long you are expected to continue to miss work
Asking the Right Questions at an Initial Consultation
As you prepare to meet with an Oakville truck accident attorney, you need to have a list of questions ready to be answered. These questions should include the following:
- Can I sign a contingency agreement?
- Will I work with you on my case or someone else in the firm?
- How often will you provide me with updates on my case?
- What documents do you need from me to start the process?
- Are you prepared to take the case to trial?
- Will you provide an honest assessment of my case?
Call a Truck Accident Attorney in Oakville Today
If you or a loved one have suffered an injury in a truck accident, you need an experienced Oakville truck accident lawyer on your side. At Gatti, Keltner, Bienvenu & Montesi PLC, we treat all of our clients like family and ensure that your rights are always protected. Call our office, or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation today.